Within the majestic, ancient stone walls of Medieval Ávila, it seems that time has stood still. Here await the treasures of ancient Spain – the ambience of the Old World culture intertwined with its mystical and spiritual awakenings. In the 16th century, Ávila province was the birthplace of Santa Teresa de Jesús, San Juan de la Cruz as well as genial Renaissance composers such as Tomás Luis de Victoria, the most well-known composer of the Renaissance in Spain whose masterpieces are still performed today world-wide by leading ensembles who specialize in the Renaissance period.
Every summer this remarkable city of Ávila receives hundreds of singers from all over the world, gathered by Zenobia Música to study the music of Victoria and his contemporaries.
It is to this world-wide celebration that Varna International is extending an invitation to choirs from throughout the USA to join us in Spain in July 2020. We will visit the ancient historical sites, perform in the beautiful concert venues of Ávila and receive a masterclass about Renaissance music from a well-known expert in the music of Victoria, Maestro Rupert Damerell.
Maestro Damerell is an English native who has been living and working in Spain for nearly 20 years. He began his musical career as a chorister at St. George's Chapel Royal, Windsor Castle. From there he went on to Eton College and later read music at King's College, Cambridge under the direction of Stephen Cleobury, becoming a member of its world-renowned choir.
Your cost of $1390 per person includes:
- Collaboration with Madrid-based ensemble Zenobia Scholars
- Participation in Festival Internacional de Música de Las Navas del Marqués
- Masterclass with Maestro Rupert Damerell, featuring works by Renaissance composers
- Concert of all participating choirs in Las Navas Convent and Castle or in ÁvilaCity Cathedral and Fairy Queen San Francisco performance venue
- Individual presentations by the participating choirs at the Castle and the Monastery in Ávila
- Five nights’ lodging in Ávila’s beautiful residence (double occupancy)
- Three meals a day (full board)
- Guided tours of Madrid, Ávila and Toledo, Spain with a local, licensed tour guide
- Ground transportation: modern, a/c coach and driver
- Concert publicity
Your cost does not include:
- Roundtrip flight to Madrid
- Single occupancy upgrade: $100
- Travel insurance
- Tips and gratuities